Choosing an Interior Designer for your London Home or Business
Finding your perfect creative partner
Have you ever heard about the importance of the role of a professionally certified interior designer?
If you want to redecorate your home and bring life to your interior, this is the exact person you need to help you.
Many people put off projects like this as they feel it will costs too much, cause huge levels of stress and just be a general inconvenience.
In fact, many people would rather call the removal men and just pack up and ship out – but wait!
An interior designer is able to transform your home – and the end result is a balanced, harmonious and enjoyable place to live or work in.
Now, there are many interior designers that specialize in interior redecorating, but there are also other types including interior arrangers, interior stylists, one-day decorators, visual coordinators or interior refiners.
Therefore, choosing the best interior designer can be a daunting experience.
However, we can help you make the right choice with our step-by-step process listed below. So, let’s start.
Step 1: Choosing a Certified Interior Designer
A certified interior designer is a professional who is qualified to design, prepare and submit any type of nonstructural and non seismic interior construction plan.
In case you thought that interior designers are just a bunch of creative people following the recent trends in design, that is definitely not true – although people like that sadly do exist.
A certified interior designer can not only help you choose the best styles for your home.
Moreover, such professionals will make sure that everything works together well aside from the visual impression.
This is a skill that only certified interior designers have, and is best demonstrated through their education, experience and knowledge of the Uniform Building Code.
Space planning, life safety, flammability and disabled access code issues are only some of the many standards that your interior must adhere to.
Step 2: Setting a Budget for the Interior Design Project
If you are wondering how does pricing work when it comes to interior design, you are not the only one.
Basically, interior designers can set the pricing on their own terms.
However, it is important that you come to a meeting point in terms of pricing.
The most common pricing options you can choose from include:
- Flat Design Fee: Here, the client pays a flat fee for the professional interior designer’s services based on the time required, the design plan and the scope of their services.
- Hourly Rate: Some interior designers can be hired on an hourly rate, where the interior decorator bills the negotiated rate per hour.
- Cost Plus Method: Some of the professional interior designers charge a set percentage on all the merchandise you purchase and the tradesmen services your home requires.
- Per Square Meter: There are also some interior decorators that charge per square meter, although this method is used especially in new construction.
- Mixed Method: The mixed method is also a common one where the client pays a set percentage on the purchases and a base design fee for the hourly rate of the designer.
The bottom line of these models is to find one that works for you and always agree on it prior to the project.
Step 3: What To Ask Your Interior Designer?
At the first meeting, you should make sure to ask the following questions and be informed about these things:
- The interior designer’s portfolio and previous works
- The projects they worked on and their size
- The budget range for every project similar to yours
- How the established budget will be handled and what’s the best payment schedule method
- The types of services the designer can provide
- A list of references
Following this guideline will definitely help you find reliable interior design contractors in London.
However, you should also make sure to define some things on your own, including your budget, the activities that will take place in the space, the length of time you will occupy it as well as your vision of the entire project including your preferred colors, styles and accessories.